I'm back! It's been such a long time since I last wrote about gaming for you all, and it feels so good to be back! I thought I would run you through what I've been playing since my last post, for my return!
- Bloodborne; perhaps my most notable game during my absence has been Bloodborne. What a magnificent game this is! I played it after beating Dark Souls 2 and 3 so the genre and style of the games wasn't new to me, but this game still surprised me at every turn. From the faster style of combat where offence was as good a defence as is required, to the amazing Gothic visuals that never ceased to amaze me. I beat this game and then simply needed to play more, so I beat all the optional bosses, as well as carved my way through the Chalice Dungeons to come out with the Platinum! As of writing I have 11 Platinum Trophies, and not one of them comes close to Bloodborne in terms of the challenge as well as the rewarding completion. In the months since beating everything in the base game I have bought the DLC and am waiting for a spare few weeks to slice my way through the last droplets of one of my favourite games ever made!
- Indie Games; I've paid particular focus to finishing some of the indie games on my back log in these last few months, a quick list for you: Everybody's Gone To The Rapture(9/10), Tales From Borderlands(9/10), Gone Home(9/10), Day of The Tentacle Remastered(7.5/10),Hitman Go(7/10), Colour Guardians(6/10) and Deadly Tower of Monsters(4/10). Everybody's Gone To The Rapture and Gone Home have both been two of the very best stories I've ever seen in games, and have really opened my eyes to the hidden gems that rest in the Digital Store! I have also started playing Stardew Valley, and while I'm not far enough in to the game to form a final opinion, I can say that I'm enjoying my time with it immensely and I can't wait to see how my years progress!
- Watch Dogs 2, this was a real gem of a game, that while it didn't break the bank in any particular area, it did everything well. The world is fun to explore, the graphics are great, the music flows well, combat is solid and satisfying, finally the hacking is actually wonderful and easily leagues ahead of Watch Dogs 1! It is certainly the most I have enjoyed a Ubisoft game in quite a few years! I'd say this is an 8.5/10!
- Destiny, I need to quickly mention that I have, as I have always done, put a decent amount of time into Destiny. I did the new raid several times, as well as Vault of Glass and Crota's End at 390 a few times, generally just enjoyed the last burst of activity on Destiny 1, whilst also getting excited for Destiny 2!
- Overwatch, I've been playing an increasing amount of Overwatch in these last few months, ever since the Arcade Mode was added I have constantly been chipping away and now I'm sitting at Level 68! I love this game so much, I would easily say it is the best multiplayer shooter I've ever played, it is a pared down PvP masterpiece, where everything works beautifully together. To round it all out all the new content such as maps, modes and new heroes are added for free, there is no divide in the community a year after launch, when Call of Duty and Battlefield split their player base within a few months of release. A true breath of fresh air!
- Dishonored 2, I started and finished this since last we spoke, I'm rather torn on it I don't mind saying, there were elements that were fantastic, I would say that it is better than the first in nearly every way. However when I finished the first game I went on to play all the DLC, and start a second High Chaos Playthrough, but with Dishonored 2 I just haven't wanted to, even though I haven't played Emily at all. I'm just not excited by the idea of going back and playing it all again with slightly different abilities. My main problem is the unsatisfying method of unlocking perks, namely by using Runes that you collect in the large slices of open world that forms missions. For the first 4 or 5 missions I played very slowly and collected as much as I could, so I have a good range of Bonecharms, and quite a lot of Runes. There was an element of boredom on my part as I was being so meticulous to go to nearly every corner of the map to collect everything. Then it dawned on me, I'd pretty much bought every perk I wanted, and seeing as I was playing purely Low Chaos, Stealth, a lot of the perks there meaningless to me. So then for the last 4 or 5 missions, I didn't feel inclined to go in search of Runes and Bonecharms, as I had already got a build of charms and perks that did everything I wanted it too! So feeling like I had nothing left to do but the objective, the last couple of missions felt decidedly empty and often shorter than I would have liked. This led in to the final "boss" fight, which is horrendously designed if you are playing stealth, and made the very final moment of the game somewhat sour for me. This game started so well, but petered off more than I can forgive for a game that I had such high hopes for! I would give this game a 7.5/10
There you go then guys, all the big gaming moments that have taken place while I haven't been writing here, for you all. I'm sorry that I have been away for so long, I really have missed writing my thoughts on our world of gaming. I'll see you back here soon after E3!
Thank you very much for reading,
Friends of The Games Critic:
My name is Ed, I write everything here, covering all kinds of games, but I only play them on the PS4!